I have now presented my final images for this assignment. I feel all of the images are applicable to the brief set which was to create 5 final images in the category of ‘Flora and Fauna’ , ‘Wildlife’ or ‘Landscapes’ in this case it was Flora & Fauna, which are stock photo quality. I have used the work of Rotenberg, Cunningham and most prominently Mapplethorpe’s flower and plant photography throughout the assignment to inform my work and feel my final images reflect their work and the research. One of my aims for these images were to create ‘clean’ images, as opposed to when i went out on shoots and got the flowers amongst foliage or had trees in the background and distracted the viewer, i wanted to create professional-looking imagery that i think would be accepted by stock photo agencies. To achieve this look i have demonstrated experimentation with lighting to create highlights on parts of the subjects and I used the zoom on my 18-55mm lens as through using different lens based equipment in the earlier stages i decided that i got the best quality photographs by using this and i could capture the details i wanted. If i was to shoot again i think i could try more lenses but overall I am pleased with my final images and think they reflect my research i have done in the project and fit the specification requirements.
From having shot flowers outside and experimented with different techniques to create non-traditional images, it has given me an insight into the best way to take photographs for my final images. Although i feel the select images from the stanley park shoot were strong and i was pleased with the outcomes of them, i think i want to create images where there is no foliage or distractions behind the images. Most stock agency photography companies have high standards regarding quality of images that they use, I feel like a couple of the images from the shoot looked more like ‘snapshots’ rather than professionally captured images, I am pleased with them but will not be using the method of shooting outdoors for my final images. Trying experimental ways of creating images for example me using pinhole cameras, fisheye lens and creating photograms, using lighting and looking into flower photographers that created inspiring work has helped me decide how i envisage my final 5 images. Mapplethorpe’s work has really stuck with me. I love how he creates a striking piece of work using contrast and plain background to bring the subject out to be seen as a masterpiece or a work of art on its own, he makes what would be, in mass with others, just a plant and takes it and creates lighting round it and composes the subject to beautifully that it is seen in a different light and like the only one of its kind. I have found inspiration in Imogen Cunninghams work by her having showed me that you can create an artistic flower photograph by angling the subjects in various positions and not just have the subject straight up in the middle, not ‘your regular photograph’. The details in the photographs and how she zoomed in on one small detail/intricate details and made the focus on that, using narrow depth of field was what i took inspiration from in Nancy Rotenbergs work. From constantly evaluating my work and taking inspiration from these artists i have decided that to create professional looking images that i feel will definitely be ‘stock agency worthy’ i need to shoot indoors. I set up a makeshift studio in my spare room and had a large sheet on the wall as a plain backdrop and a table in front of it, i also made sure i had plug sockets near, so i could plug in a lamp that i could hold to highlight parts of the flower, like Mapplethorpe did in his studio. I also got my tripod ready as to make sure i get the best quality photos without any slight blur or disruption when taking the photographs. For health and safety, i made sure all cables were on one side and not in front of the table where i would stand. I also had someone holding the lamp, with me instructing them on where to angle the light, as it would be dangerous and not practical for me to hold the heavy lamp and my camera at the same time.
I wanted to create some non-traditional images of flowers, so i used a fisheye adaptor on my 18-55mm lens to create experimental photographs. By using the adaptor i did feel like i lost some of the sharpness of the images and of course, they were not as pristine as using a regular lens to shoot. You also cannot zoom in, as you lose the fisheye effect the more you zoom, and you really need the whole frame and the edges of the adaptor in the image to get the full fisheye effect. It was interesting to get some experimental shots but i feel that to get the images that are more ‘stock agency-worthy’ i should use a regular lens with zoom, as i found, for example on the Stanley Park shoot, that i could get really in depth detailed shots of the flowers and intricate details on the zoom, whereas with the fisheye you get all of the background in too and it is harder, i found to focus on one specific area, though i do think using fisheye and wide angle lenses would be really effective for shooting landscapes, but not for this genre of photography.